Bes last contact time not updating
I did a bit of reading and discovered that the group should have DNS computer accounts in, if the zones are configured to only be updated securely - which they were. I am forever getting incorrect / outdated lookups when connecting to machines.
I also read that a service account should be configured to carry out the zone updates - which I have now done. Our domain's zone is configured as an AD-Integrated zone with replication to all DNS servers in the forest.
I set this back to 7 days, in an attempt to give DNS a chance to 'catch up' before the addresses potentially changed again, but we're still getting incorrect DNS entries. Our settings are now an amalgam of what went before (which didn't work) and what I've gleaned from MS documentation.In most cases, the client should own it's own record.So the DNS client service on the PC's should be updating the record when they receive a new IP.When I joined the company, I noted that a lot of name lookups were failing or pointing at the wrong machines.I also noted a staggering amount of old, outdated DNS records.